Food business notification
Most businesses that sell food in NSW must officially notify food standards enforcement agencies of their food business details.
Examples of businesses which need to notify include:
- retail food outlets, other than seafood retailers that also process seafood or butchers
- businesses which sell food as a smaller part of their business such as chemists, cinemas, corner stores, petrol stations and sporting facilities
- food stall holders at regular, temporary or one-off events
- mobile food outlets
- school canteens
- child-care facilities that provide food and do not hold an Authority licence
- food manufacturers that do not hold an Authority licence
- food transport, storage or wholesale businesses, and
- importers and exporters of food or food ingredients.
Some businesses are exempt from notification:
- those which hold a licence from the NSW Food Authority, or
- not-for-profit community or fundraising events where the food sold is (a) not potentially hazardous or (b) to be consumed immediately after thorough cooking.
Notification allows government food agencies to maintain a relationship with all food businesses.
Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) notification
Certain hospitality and retail food service sector businesses must also designate a FSS and notify the FSS' details.
For details and exemptions see the NSW Food Authority's FSS Guide for businesses.
To notify business and/or FSS details using the free online service:
- notify food business details
- (if necessary) proceed to add FSS details: on page 4, 'Notification confirmation', select tab for 'Food Safety Supervisors' then the button for 'New Supervisor'.
- If the business has a current notification, use change existing notification to log on or have a password reminder sent by email. Then select tab for 'Food Safety Supervisors' and the button for 'New Supervisor'.
If you are not sure or cannot access the password reminder, please telephone 1300 552 406.
Notifications of business and FSS details must be updated if any details change.
To update an existing notification, go to change existing notification.